19th February 2019
Welcome to my latest Pethers Prayer Line.
Thanks to a number of you who contacted me to say how much you appreciated my sharing about some of the things that my wife Lynn has been engaging in. I will be sure to include more news and prayer updates in the future!
The past week has been filled with a number of really helpful meetings:
Our UK Board meeting was really encouraging, the highlight being, a presentation by David Vincent, The Rooftop London Coordinator, regarding plans for the Rooftop in London during 2019 and 2020.
London is a vast city with numerous ministries and initiatives that are taking place. The Rooftop is seeking to partner with a variety of these ministries and initiatives to explore ways that will result in unity as ‘the church in London Joins Jesus in His Mission’.
Jesus said “I will build my church” (Matthew 16:18) and in the gospel of John, Jesus prayed:
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me”. John 17:20
If you have known me for a while it is likely that you have heard me tell the story of ‘perhaps the most powerful prayer I have ever heard’. This prayer has never left me and, as I see what God is beginning to open up across London, and in many other parts of the world, it is constantly in my mind.
The prayer, read by an Anglican priest, in a Churches Together service in a town called Didcot, in the UK some years ago, went like this:
“God help us to knock down the walls that divide us and use the bricks to build bridges into our communities. Amen”.
I am looking forward to seeing how this will develop across London and the world.
As well as the encouragement of the Board meeting was the ‘discouragement’ of speaking with the person who has been considering the role of Latin American Pioneer for The Rooftop. He is excited by what the Lord is doing and fully understands our immediate need for a pioneer to connect with countries across Latin America where the doors are wide open for The Rooftop. However, at this stage, he does not feel that he has heard the Lord’s confirmation that he should take on this role. I fully respect his decision and know that God will make His will clear regarding how we should proceed – He knows what He is doing!
‘Joining Jesus’ Podcast.
I mentioned previously that I will soon be beginning a regular podcast around the theme of ‘Joining Jesus’. You may remember that each Podcast will be centered around different people, in different parts of the world, who are joining Jesus in His Mission and will include:
- A conversation with a Christian who is joining Jesus in His Mission where they are living.
- Biblical teaching that edifies and empowers every Christian to join Jesus in His Mission.
- Practical suggestions and helpful advice on how to Join Jesus in His Mission.
Thanks to a great deal of help from Alan Pattle, the International Operations Manager for The Rooftop, I have now made some real progress in preparation for a release of the first podcast on 1st April 2019. In advance of this date I will be releasing a ‘podcast taster’ that will introduce the podcast and, I pray, encourage people from all over the world to connect.
As a prayer partner, I would be thrilled for you to connect with this podcast, for more details on how to do this, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and just say ‘please provide more information about the ‘Joining Jesus Podcast’
Please pray for the following this week:
- For Lynn as she continues to support the families that she is working with. Please pray that she will stay strong and healthy and that her living witness will lead to lives being transformed by Jesus.
- For my putting together the ‘Joining Jesus Taster Podcast’. I will be spending some time on this during Monday and Wednesday and hope to be able to go live with it by the end of the month. Please pray that God will inspire me as I create this and that He will use the podcasts to equip Christians across the world to Join Jesus in His Mission.
- On Thursday I will be meeting with Lord Wei, a committed follower of Jesus who serves the UK government in the House of Lords. We met at a recent conference hosted by City Vision and we are keen to meet again and speak more about ways that God’s Kingdom can impact and influence cities across the world. Please pray that God will go before me.
- Please also pray regarding the Latin American expansion of The Rooftop. Pray that God will reveal His will for us and for the person we have been speaking with regarding the next step.
Thanks so much for your prayers and support.